Monday, April 28th, 2014
By Lee Califf, Executive Director, American Progressive Bag Alliance
Plastics industry jobs in Illinois suffered a blow on April 24 when the Chicago City Council’s environmental committee unanimously passed a partial plastic bag ban in the city. The measure is scheduled to go before the full city council this week before it is official.
This is a concern of SPI: The Plastics Industry Trade Association, who cites the jobs created from the plastics industry as a major plus for America’s economic recovery. The plastic bag manufacturing and recycling sector in the United States employs 30,800 people in 349 communities across the country. That’s a significant number of people in the total 900,000 employed by the U.S. plastics industry.
The plastics industry impact in Chicago is a snapshot of the entire country. An in-depth data analysis of the plastics industry’s 2012 performance globally and in the U.S. is detailed in the newly released reports titled, “The Definition, Size and Impact of the U.S. Plastics Industry,” and “Global Business Trends, Partners, Hot Products.”
The report contained the following numbers:
- $41.7 billion – the U.S. plastics industry’s payroll in 2012
- 1.4 million – the number of jobs attributed to the plastics industry when suppliers are added
- $456 billion – the total U.S. shipments attributed to the plastics industry when suppliers are added
- 6.7 of every 1,000 non-farm jobs – in the U.S. are in the plastics industry
- 15.8 of every 1,000 non-farm jobs – in Michigan are in the plastics industry
- 15.4 of every 1,000 non-farm jobs – in Indiana are in the plastics industry
- 13.3 of every 1,000 non-farm jobs – in Ohio are in the plastics industry
- 1 – California (because it is the largest state) has the most plastics industry employees (74,000)
- 50 – number of states where plastics industry employees and manufacturing activities are found
SPI’s economic reports are free of charge for members. For non-members, the cost of each report is $395. Both reports may be downloaded at http://www.plasticsindustry.org/store