Thursday, March 12th, 2015
The story of how NPE’s Startup Garage came into its current form sounds a lot like how any startup company hopes their story will go: it started off small and humble, but after people found out about it, it really took off and the rest is history.
Though it was originally envisioned as a smaller portion of the NPE2015 show floor, the NPE team had to expand the Startup Garage (twice) to keep up with industry demand. Now it’ll be an important fixture of the West Hall (in Room W203A) and, given its running start, potentially an even greater part of NPEs for years to come. Now, however, the Startup Garage will provide “an unprecedented opportunity for startup companies with connections to the plastics industry,” according to Gerald Elderling, founder of Startup.Directory, a new-venture tracking company with which SPI partnered to create the Startup Garage. “Participants will be meeting hundreds of potential buyers, investors, distributors and strategic partners, all in one location.”
Companies will highlight their innovations in such diverse, cutting-edge fields as bioplastics, recycling, 3D printing, polymerization, resin processing, antimicrobial polymers and even the burgeoning field of graphenes—defined as two-dimensional carbon-atom nanostructures that can be used for formulating plastics composites with dramatically enhanced properties.
Here’s some more detail on all the startups that will be exhibiting in the Startup Garage. Get a closer look at their innovative products by swinging by the West Hall during your trip to Orlando, Fla. for NPE2015:
- Aguas Pristinas S.A. Patented zero-waste beverage container and packaging system, with products designed to be recovered for re-use in other forms. One example is roofing products derived from bottles.
- Biobent Polymers. “Bio-composite” polymers with up to 40% renewable content from soy or other renewable agricultural products. www.biobent.com.
- The Center for Regenerative Design & Collaboration (CRDC) – AGUA Costa Rica. AGUA-Costa Rica is a patented and “state-of-the-art” new zero waste beverage product that regenerates itself into a value-added secondary use as a highly-efficient and durable building tile.
- cycleWood Solutions Inc. Compostable and sustainable resins produced from lignin in tree byproducts generated during papermaking. LDPE-like film grades are 100% compostable. Injection molding grades are available in either compostable or sustainable (blended with polyolefins) versions. www.cycleWood.com.
- Garmor Inc. Graphene priced for high-volume plastics applications. The company also has developed methods for incorporating graphene into plastics and shares this information with customers.
- GlowLit. GlowLit’s free website provides an option for previously untapped information providers to receive market intelligence in return for their insight. Anyone can log in and check whether the last purchased they made saved (or cost) money to the shareholders. Not all companies use the same information, pounds and KGs, delivered price vs ex works, railroad order of 4,000 tons or spot orders of 20,000 lbs. We provide the data you are interested in, for your industry, location, and volumes. www.glowlit.com.
- Graphenics. Engineering services and materials based on a patented process to produce graphene and incorporate it into plastic with minimal disruption of plastics processes and minimal darkening of the composite. www.plusgraphene.com.
- iQLP LLC. Development of polymer materials and manufacturing processes for polymer suppliers, converters, and end users. Solutions highlighted at NPE2015 will include semiconductor packaging, film and laminate extrusion, and structural polymers. www.iqlp.net.
- One Moving Part. Digital printers for all types of extrusions. As simple as “0-1-2″: ZERO maintenance, ONE moving part, and TWO–the typical cost of less than $2 per day. Offering a FREE 30-day in-plant trial.
- Plastic EQ Corp. Web marketplace where companies post offers of and requests for recycled plastics online. The company integrates the full sales cycle, including paperwork, payment / collection, freight management, credit check, etc. www.plastic-eq.com.
- Productfast Automation. Technology for monitoring a manufacturing operation that replaces the Andon light system with wireless audio and visual effects. www.productfast.com.
- QTEK. QTEK will bring “Copper-based mineral additive” and “Copper-based antimicrobial plastic masterbatch pellets” to NPE2015. QTEK technology is unique by employing ionic copper as antimicrobial agent. NSF funded research has demonstrated the antimicrobial efficiency (against bacteria and fungi), processability, durability, and environmental safety of the plastic masterbatch pellets. The mineral additive also has fire-retarding activity. http://www.qtekllc.com.
- Sharklet Technologies, Inc. The company’s core technology, called Sharklet™, is the first no-kill, non-toxic and environmentally-friendly surface texture designed to inhibit bacterial growth. The Sharklet surface is comprised of millions of microscopic diamonds that are arranged into a distinct texture. www.sharklet.com.
- Smart E2 Solutions, LLC. System for producing fuel products from non-recyclable plastics. About a gallon of fuel is produced from 8 to 10 lb. of un-washed, un-sorted waste plastic at a cost of less than $1. www.se2sol.com.
- TiFiber Inc. Anti-microbial polymers that exhibit broad-spectrum activity against bacterial species, including drug-resistant strains such as MRSA. Among potential applications are medical devices and disposables, synthetic textiles, and consumer goods. www.tifiber.com.
- Zzyzx Polymers. New “mechanochemical” process for compatabilizing, encapsulating, and fully dispersing materials into plastics, with a pilot plant established in Pennsylvania. To be highlighted at NPE2015: graphene conductive polypropylene; high-impact polyethylene; and a polycarbonate-like PP. www.zpolymers.com.